June 2020 M T W T F S S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
- For Met Fans—More Operas!
- Harvard Gazette Highlights WHRB
- Photos from the 2020 Joe Val Festival
- WHRB and HAH Are Still on the Air
- Coming Up: The Joe Val Festival for 2020!
- “Coming to You by Recording. . .”
- Here’s the Met Broadcast Schedule for 2019-2020
- Engine 576 Whistles & The Pan-American on WSM in Nashville
- Stuart and Stinson Celebrate Nashville’s ‘Duchess’, NC&StL No. 576
- Harvard Football vs. HAH: Call It a Draw
- Photos from the Jenny Brook Bluegrass Festival
- Not to Mention the old Shade Tree. . .
- Pickin’ on Ninnies
- Pre-recorded Shows April 6th and 13th
- The 2019 Joe Val Festival—Photos!
Top Posts & Pages
- Paper and Pen—Open Page
- Tex Logan (1927–2015) — Part I
- The Whiskey Gentry’s Dead Ringer—Is Lauren Staley!
- Classic Stereo/Phonograph Console Needs a Home
- No Particular Place to Go
- HA'pennings: Cliff Murphy's "Yankee Twang" Has Arrived
- Little Jimmy Dickens (1920–2015)
- Why I Cancelled Barbara Martin Stephens
- Tex Logan (1927–2015) — Part II
- Harvard Gazette Highlights WHRB
Tag Archives: Jim Rooney
I don’t get to many festivals, as the biggest day is always Saturday, and I have radio business then. But I did arrange for a pre-recorded Hillbilly at Harvard on June 29th, so Dr Janie and I took the Green … Continue reading
I met Al Hawkes at one of the Joe Val Festivals, back in the Green Room. It was not the one where he received the 2009 Heritage Industry Award from the Boston Bluegrass Union. It might have been 2016 when … Continue reading
Already scheduled for Sunday afternoon (February 14th) at the annual Joe Val Festival, The Traveling McCourys will become The Del McCoury Band! Del of course was ‘snowed out’ last year (remember the snowstorm here that snowed in a lot of … Continue reading
Got home Saturday evening (we were out minding four grandkids) to sit down at the iMac and see this sad news from Jim Rooney: Dear Friends, My long-time dear friend and musical partner Bill Keith left us on Thursday, Oct. … Continue reading
Part I is HERE. It was Tex Logan‘s association with Wilma Lee and Stoney Cooper that led him to Bill Monroe in 1951, and the recording of his song, now a bluegrass and country standard, “Christmas Time’s A-Comin’.” Richard Thompson, … Continue reading
Listeners to Hillbilly at Harvard over the years will have heard the name Tex Logan from time to time, not only when we played the familiar fiddle tunes “Katy Hill” and “Natchez Under the Hill” from the—what was a word … Continue reading
Here we go again (from the National Weather Service): WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH SUNDAY EVENING… THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TAUNTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH…WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH SUNDAY … Continue reading
Back in July, Harvard Gazette (and Boston Globe) photographer Jon Chase arrived at Studio BC at WHRB on Saturday morning, and snapped a bunch of photos. Larry Flint turned up, as well as Buck Mitchell, and erstwhile Nashville (now back … Continue reading
Old friend Jim Rooney will be coming in this Saturday, 13Sep, to talk about his new autobiography. He’s bringing a CD full of songs he performed, recorded, produced, published, or which influenced him over his long (continuing) career. We’ll listen … Continue reading