- Pre-recorded Shows April 6th and 13th
- The 2019 Joe Val Festival—Photos!
- Time for the 2019 Joe Val Festival!
- Rhode Island’s Best-Kept Secret? Rock Hearts on HAH!
- The Legendary Al Hawkes Dies at 88
- It’s the Eighth of January!
- Extra! Fiddlin’ John Carson Played Tex’s ‘Christmas Time’ in 1927!
- Well Met—It’s Opry Time Again!
- Tony Watt Launches JamVember
- The Whiskey Gentry’s Dead Ringer—Is Lauren Staley!
- Harvard Football vs. HAH: A Draw!
- Why I Cancelled Barbara Martin Stephens
- Bluegrass and Cajun at the Lowell Folk Festival
- Southern Rail in Framingham
- Talkin’ about Trains
Top Posts & Pages
- John Lincoln Wright's "Takin' Old Route One" Now on CD!
- Tex Logan (1927–2015) — Part II
- No Particular Place to Go
- Hits and Misses 5
- 2018 Joe Val Festival: IIIrd Tyme Out, David Davis, and more!
- Country Calendar
- Why No Spinitron?
- Chuck McDermott & Wheatstraw Reunion! At Johnny D's June 7th
- "A Good Voice and a Clean Suit"—Slim Whitman Dies
Tag Archives: Bill Monroe
Well, sort of. After I played Tex Logan fiddling his composition, ‘Christmas Time’s a-Comin’’ with The Lane Brothers, followed by Bill Monroe’s classic first recording of the song, listener Paul Murphy emailed me with this news (reprinted with his permission): … Continue reading
I’ve been wondering whether I needed to explain this at all, but I did mention it on air, so if anyone is curious, this is what happened: Barbara Martin Stephens lived with Jimmy Martin from 1953 to 1966, and had … Continue reading
Continuing this occasional department. Previous entries: H&M 1; 2; 3; 4 • Tom Ewing: Adventures of a Bluegrass Boy (2016, Patuxent Music) I can’t do more than to quote Tom Ewing himself: Between 1986 and 1996, while I was one … Continue reading
Chuck Berry reportedly wrote that title in prison (for transporting a 14-year-old girl across state lines, violating the Mann Act). The song devolves into an amusing anecdote when the the protagonist cannot get the young lady’s ‘safety belt’ unbuckled, but … Continue reading
NOTE: For higher-resolution versions of the photographs, go to Flickr, HERE. (They won’t be super high, because with my Rebel T2i-Tamron 18-270 combination, I still needed to shoot at 3200 ISO, but they will be better than the ones that … Continue reading
After a brief, but intense, search for a molded fiberglass travel trailer (which if you’re interested in the gory details or in camping trailers, I describe at length in my personal blog, Walking Creek World; click HERE) we bought a … Continue reading
Got home Saturday evening (we were out minding four grandkids) to sit down at the iMac and see this sad news from Jim Rooney: Dear Friends, My long-time dear friend and musical partner Bill Keith left us on Thursday, Oct. … Continue reading
Part I is HERE. It was Tex Logan‘s association with Wilma Lee and Stoney Cooper that led him to Bill Monroe in 1951, and the recording of his song, now a bluegrass and country standard, “Christmas Time’s A-Comin’.” Richard Thompson, … Continue reading
I’ve been planning to start posting some record reviews and other news, but “The best laid plans. . .” go their own way. In lieu of those, I’m starting what I hope can be a regular feature, “HA’pennings”: brief notes … Continue reading
Old friend Jim Rooney will be coming in this Saturday, 13Sep, to talk about his new autobiography. He’s bringing a CD full of songs he performed, recorded, produced, published, or which influenced him over his long (continuing) career. We’ll listen … Continue reading