[ UPDATE 8Jan15] Contributions remain paltry, so I will continue adding some of the email calendar notices I get. Better for you to post your own notices, though; then you’re not relying on me to remember. Just use the Comments box at the bottom. /CL
This page is for Country Calendar on-air announcements, though visitors may like to refer to the printed items here, too.
What we’ll do is use the Comments for Calendar announcements. I’ll print them off on the Friday before the show, and take them in with me in my red Country Calendar folder. I’ll delete the older, obsolete ones as I get around to it.
• Bullet Points: Please remember that a harried disc jockey (HDJ) programming on the fly has no time or inclination to carefully pre-read announcements. The HDJ needs concert/show announcements clearly laid out in bullet points—please, no long paragraphs! Some of you are prone to long disquisitions. Refrain!
• Vitals First: If you want to give the HDJ information about the performers he might not know, save it for the end of the announcement, not for reading on the air. Don’t make the HDJ wade through pages to get to the meat: Who, When, Where, Contact!
• Spell Out Links: Internet links for more information, tickets, or a general good time must be spelled out, so when they are printed and I read them, listeners will understand what they have to type. You don’t need to include the http://. . . header, but a hyperlink called ‘Moe’s Club’ won’t do, either. I need ‘MoesClub.com’, i.e. exactly what the listener has to type in his browser. Most modern browsers will fill in the ‘http. . .’ header.
• Phone Numbers: Please include phone numbers! Believe it or not, not everyone who listens has or uses a computer, tablet, smart phone or other such device.
• Redundancy: You should also email me the announcements, as many of you already do, to: CousinLynn953 at Yahoo dot com. Redundancy is good.
• Saturday is TOO LATE: And remember: Hillbilly at Harvard airs Saturday morning. I do my show prep Friday evening. I won’t see announcements for the coming weekend and week if they are posted or emailed after Friday. Seems obvious, but you’d be surprised how many such duds I get.
So let’s try it!
UPDATE: Jeff Boudreau (who in addition to notloB Parlour Concerts, runs a Facebook Group called “Northeast Old-Time, Blue Grass and String Band Music”), suggests the following rule:
Third-party event notices must be authorized by producer and/or artist. Poster is responsible to communicate any date/time/location/bill changes.
In other words, if you post Country Calendar notices here, you—not I, not WHRB—are responsible for any changes, cancellations, missing or wrong information. Thanks, Jeff!