- Here’s the Met Broadcast Schedule for 2019-2020
- Engine 576 Whistles & The Pan-American on WSM in Nashville
- Stuart and Stinson Celebrate Nashville’s ‘Duchess’, NC&StL No. 576
- Harvard Football vs. HAH: Call It a Draw
- Photos from the Jenny Brook Bluegrass Festival
- Not to Mention the old Shade Tree. . .
- Pickin’ on Ninnies
- Pre-recorded Shows April 6th and 13th
- The 2019 Joe Val Festival—Photos!
- Time for the 2019 Joe Val Festival!
- Rhode Island’s Best-Kept Secret? Rock Hearts on HAH!
- The Legendary Al Hawkes Dies at 88
- It’s the Eighth of January!
- Extra! Fiddlin’ John Carson Played Tex’s ‘Christmas Time’ in 1927!
- Well Met—It’s Opry Time Again!
Top Posts & Pages
- "Beautiful Star of Bethlehem"
- HA'ppenings: Terry Eagan's 19th Annual Greater Waltham Healing Garden Music Fest
- Classic Stereo/Phonograph Console Needs a Home
- And Yet Another One—Tompall Glaser at 79
- No Second Fiddle: Jean Shepard, 1933-2016
- No Particular Place to Go
- Don't Clap—Throw Money (or Rather, Buy Time!)
- Howdy Old Soldiers!
- Another Great Joe Val Festival!—Part I
- "A Good Voice and a Clean Suit"—Slim Whitman Dies
Category Archives: Program Notes
Saturday a listener named Liz posted a comment on the Paper and Pen page. I was going to respond there, but then decided that the question was important enough to merit a post. Liz wrote: “When the pickaninnies pick the … Continue reading
The Metropolitan Opera broadcast season begins December 1st. Again this year there are seven Saturdays starting earlier than 1:00 PM. In all cases we subtract about 15 minutes from the Met starting time for WHRB’s Prelude to the Met. Fans … Continue reading
The Metropolitan Opera broadcast season begins December 2nd. This year there are seven Saturdays starting earlier than 1:00 PM. In all cases we subtract about 15 minutes from the Met starting time for David Elliott‘s Prelude to the Met. Fans … Continue reading
Every fall Harvard Football cuts into some Hillbilly shows. The Pre-Game Show is usually a half-hour before game time (except for the Yale game, which is an hour). This year HAH will be curtailed at 11:30 AM for a record … Continue reading
UPDATE (19May17)—or maybe it’s a ‘Downdate’: We’re back from Wisconsin, but I’m down with a nasty cold (are there other kinds?) that seems to be devolving into bronchitis. So you’ll be treated to four full hours of pre-recorded HAH tomorrow. … Continue reading
We finally made it down to Virginia to visit with daughter Sarah and her family. Last December we were frustrated by our dog Ali’s problems with a corneal abrasion, requiring daily eyedrops and an ‘Elizabethan Collar’. This Tuesday Ali developed … Continue reading
UPDATE 4B! (23Dec16): No, not another schedule change. Had a pleasant half hour or so chatting with David Greely last Saturday (though I had to run out in the snow in my sandals to bring him to the correct door), … Continue reading
When I heard that Jean Shepard had died, the first thing I thought about was Pete the Cab Driver, as we knew him. Miss Shepard was Pete Schindler‘s favorite singer, and the last time I heard from him he called … Continue reading
Here’s the Harvard football schedule for 2016. I list the Pregame show airtimes because that’s when WHRB’s invaluable coverage begins, and, in just five cases this year, when Hillbilly at Harvard will end. We lose only half an hour on … Continue reading
We’re off to visit daughter Sarah and family, taking Amtrak Northeast Regional No. 93 Monday morning, and returning Tuesday the 15th on NER No. 174. This time I decided to try Business Class, for the alleged greater legroom between seats … Continue reading