- Pre-recorded Shows April 6th and 13th
- The 2019 Joe Val Festival—Photos!
- Time for the 2019 Joe Val Festival!
- Rhode Island’s Best-Kept Secret? Rock Hearts on HAH!
- The Legendary Al Hawkes Dies at 88
- It’s the Eighth of January!
- Extra! Fiddlin’ John Carson Played Tex’s ‘Christmas Time’ in 1927!
- Well Met—It’s Opry Time Again!
- Tony Watt Launches JamVember
- The Whiskey Gentry’s Dead Ringer—Is Lauren Staley!
- Harvard Football vs. HAH: A Draw!
- Why I Cancelled Barbara Martin Stephens
- Bluegrass and Cajun at the Lowell Folk Festival
- Southern Rail in Framingham
- Talkin’ about Trains
Top Posts & Pages
- John Lincoln Wright's "Takin' Old Route One" Now on CD!
- Tex Logan (1927–2015) — Part II
- No Particular Place to Go
- Hits and Misses 5
- 2018 Joe Val Festival: IIIrd Tyme Out, David Davis, and more!
- Country Calendar
- Why No Spinitron?
- Chuck McDermott & Wheatstraw Reunion! At Johnny D's June 7th
- "A Good Voice and a Clean Suit"—Slim Whitman Dies
Monthly Archives: November 2014
Last December (2013) I published a post on the history of the wonderful Christmas spiritual, first recorded (to my knowledge) by The Stanley Brothers back in the early ’60s. You can find that post here. Judging from views, it’s the … Continue reading
John Lincoln Wright was to my mind the best country singer to come out of New England, except for Dick Curless, and undoubtedly the best songwriter. He was also a terrific band leader and stage presence (though to my knowledge … Continue reading
A couple of weeks ago, a newsletter from Geoff Bartley featured a want ad for bluegrass bands to play at his well-known Cambridge club, The Cantab, which features bluegrass on Tuesday evenings. I asked Geoff if I could reproduce it, … Continue reading
I’ve been planning to start posting some record reviews and other news, but “The best laid plans. . .” go their own way. In lieu of those, I’m starting what I hope can be a regular feature, “HA’pennings”: brief notes … Continue reading
From the Boston Bluegrass Union website: 2015 Joe Val Update: Sheraton hotel rooms sold out within 1-2 minutes. However, there are rooms available at our overflow hotels only a few minutes away. Weekend tickets are now on sale. … Continue reading
[Part 1 is HERE. Part 2 is HERE.] I awoke Friday morning to bright sunshine in Raleigh; Dr Janie had gone out for a walk, and returned bearing coffee and a muffin from The Carolina Kitchen. She had checked to … Continue reading
Here’s the schedule for the Metropolitan Opry (as we call it at HAH). Only five Met broadcasts begin as early as noon (three in December); the rest at 12:30 or 1:00, so HAH won’t lose too much air time. David … Continue reading
[Note: Part 1 is HERE. Part 3 is HERE.] Winning a Distinguished Achievement Award got Dr Janie and me tickets to the Thursday evening 25th Annual International Bluegrass Music Awards. Indeed, as VIPs (Virtually Invisible Personages?), upon entering the grounds … Continue reading
From an October 29th report on the Fox News website (hat-tip to space-time on the MacResource Forum): Amelia Earhart plane fragment identified By Rossella Lorenzi A fragment of Amelia Earhart’s lost aircraft has been identified to a high degree of … Continue reading