- Coming Up: The Joe Val Festival for 2020!
- “Coming to You by Recording. . .”
- Here’s the Met Broadcast Schedule for 2019-2020
- Engine 576 Whistles & The Pan-American on WSM in Nashville
- Stuart and Stinson Celebrate Nashville’s ‘Duchess’, NC&StL No. 576
- Harvard Football vs. HAH: Call It a Draw
- Photos from the Jenny Brook Bluegrass Festival
- Not to Mention the old Shade Tree. . .
- Pickin’ on Ninnies
- Pre-recorded Shows April 6th and 13th
- The 2019 Joe Val Festival—Photos!
- Time for the 2019 Joe Val Festival!
- Rhode Island’s Best-Kept Secret? Rock Hearts on HAH!
- The Legendary Al Hawkes Dies at 88
- It’s the Eighth of January!
Top Posts & Pages
- Classic Stereo/Phonograph Console Needs a Home
- Why I Cancelled Barbara Martin Stephens
- Rick Robinson, Leader of The Bayou Boys, Dies at 62
- The Montreal Express
- "Beautiful Star of Bethlehem"
- ‘Maple Sugar’, Sweetheart!
- "Beautiful Star of Bethlehem": The Composer's Grandson Writes
- The Whiskey Gentry’s Dead Ringer—Is Lauren Staley!
Monthly Archives: November 2014
Last December (2013) I published a post on the history of the wonderful Christmas spiritual, first recorded (to my knowledge) by The Stanley Brothers back in the early ’60s. You can find that post here. Judging from views, it’s the … Continue reading
John Lincoln Wright was to my mind the best country singer to come out of New England, except for Dick Curless, and undoubtedly the best songwriter. He was also a terrific band leader and stage presence (though to my knowledge … Continue reading
A couple of weeks ago, a newsletter from Geoff Bartley featured a want ad for bluegrass bands to play at his well-known Cambridge club, The Cantab, which features bluegrass on Tuesday evenings. I asked Geoff if I could reproduce it, … Continue reading
I’ve been planning to start posting some record reviews and other news, but “The best laid plans. . .” go their own way. In lieu of those, I’m starting what I hope can be a regular feature, “HA’pennings”: brief notes … Continue reading
From the Boston Bluegrass Union website: 2015 Joe Val Update: Sheraton hotel rooms sold out within 1-2 minutes. However, there are rooms available at our overflow hotels only a few minutes away. Weekend tickets are now on sale. … Continue reading
[Part 1 is HERE. Part 2 is HERE.] I awoke Friday morning to bright sunshine in Raleigh; Dr Janie had gone out for a walk, and returned bearing coffee and a muffin from The Carolina Kitchen. She had checked to … Continue reading
Here’s the schedule for the Metropolitan Opry (as we call it at HAH). Only five Met broadcasts begin as early as noon (three in December); the rest at 12:30 or 1:00, so HAH won’t lose too much air time. David … Continue reading
[Note: Part 1 is HERE. Part 3 is HERE.] Winning a Distinguished Achievement Award got Dr Janie and me tickets to the Thursday evening 25th Annual International Bluegrass Music Awards. Indeed, as VIPs (Virtually Invisible Personages?), upon entering the grounds … Continue reading
From an October 29th report on the Fox News website (hat-tip to space-time on the MacResource Forum): Amelia Earhart plane fragment identified By Rossella Lorenzi A fragment of Amelia Earhart’s lost aircraft has been identified to a high degree of … Continue reading