From Gerry Katz at the BBU:
29th Joe Val Bluegrass Festival, February 14 – 16, at the Sheraton Framingham Hotel, Framingham, MA
Master Classes and Fast Track Classes
Details on www.bbu.org
Main Stage lineup is now posted. I think you’ll agree that we have a pretty stout lineup of familiar friends, new faces and a couple chestnuts thrown in for good measure.
Just a few of the Main Stage highlights – Here are just a few of the exciting things on tap. . .
· The Gibson Brothers – Two time and reigning IBMA Entertainers of the Year, Eric Gibson was named Songwriter of the Year, Vocal Group of the Year as well as Song of the Year for “They Called it Music” written by Gibson and Newberry. This will be their first Joe Val appearance with Jesse Brock on mandolin. Gibson Brothers – They Call It Music EPK
· Junior Sisk and Ramblers Choice – Junior’s the 2013 IBMA Male Vocalist of the Year and will present his brand of hard driving, traditional bluegrass.
· Russell Moore and IIIrd Tyme Out – Billboard Magazine has released it’s Best Of 2013: The Year In Music, documenting the best-selling albums for the year, including the Top 15 Bluegrass Albums. Timeless Hits From The Past Bluegrassed, the latest release from Russell Moore & IIIrd Tyme Out, ranks #5 alongside artists such as Steve Martin and Edie Brickell, Alan Jackson, and Old Crowe Medicine Show. Russell Moore and IIIrd Tyme Out – Old Home Place
· Spinney Brothers – having a breakout year, IBMA Emerging Artist Nominee, the #1 Album again this month on the Bluegrass Unlimited charts with their newly released project No Borders, and they also have the #1 song on the chart with “Grandpa’s Way of Life,” from their album on Mountain Fever Records. Spinney Brothers – Grandpa’s Way of Life
· Desert Rose Band – A rare area appearance from Rock and Roll Hall of Fame member Chris Hillman, along with bandmates Herb Pederson, John Jorgenson and Bill Bryson. They will perform all the DRB hits (“He’s Back and I’m Blue,” “One Step Forward,” “I Still Believe In You,” “Ashes of Love,” “She Don’t Love Nobody,” “Love Reunited”) and a healthy dose of classics from Hillman’s Byrds/Gram Parsons/Flying Burrito Brothers era (“Wheels,” “Sin City”) as well. Desert Rose Band – Love Reunited, The Byrds – So You Want to be a Rockin Roll Star
· Balsam Range – First time at Joe Val. Winner of the 2013 IBMA Album of the Year for “Papertown” and 2012 IBMA Song of the Year for “Trains I Missed.” Balsam Range – Papertown
This fan favorite continues to expand, both in a larger venue as well as in terms of an expanded lineup.
BBU education staff are still hard at work on the sixty or so workshops and directed jams planned for this year’s festival. . .
We’ll have over a dozen vendor covering all your bluegrass needs and much more.
All the details on these festival activities available via www.bbu.org
And, if you get this far, you deserve an ode to my dog the Duke of Cambridge – Desert Rose Band – Hello Trouble
All the best,
Boston Bluegrass Union
29th Joe Val Bluegrass Festival
February 14 – 16, 2014
USATODAY picked Joe Val as one of Ten Great Places to Go to Bluegrass Festivals
PS Notice the new logo above!