- Coming Up: The Joe Val Festival for 2020!
- “Coming to You by Recording. . .”
- Here’s the Met Broadcast Schedule for 2019-2020
- Engine 576 Whistles & The Pan-American on WSM in Nashville
- Stuart and Stinson Celebrate Nashville’s ‘Duchess’, NC&StL No. 576
- Harvard Football vs. HAH: Call It a Draw
- Photos from the Jenny Brook Bluegrass Festival
- Not to Mention the old Shade Tree. . .
- Pickin’ on Ninnies
- Pre-recorded Shows April 6th and 13th
- The 2019 Joe Val Festival—Photos!
- Time for the 2019 Joe Val Festival!
- Rhode Island’s Best-Kept Secret? Rock Hearts on HAH!
- The Legendary Al Hawkes Dies at 88
- It’s the Eighth of January!
Top Posts & Pages
- Classic Stereo/Phonograph Console Needs a Home
- Why I Cancelled Barbara Martin Stephens
- Rick Robinson, Leader of The Bayou Boys, Dies at 62
- The Montreal Express
- "Beautiful Star of Bethlehem"
- ‘Maple Sugar’, Sweetheart!
- "Beautiful Star of Bethlehem": The Composer's Grandson Writes
- The Whiskey Gentry’s Dead Ringer—Is Lauren Staley!
Monthly Archives: April 2013
Thanks to Scott Johnson and the now-venerable Powerline Blog for including links here. Have to admit I slipped them a hint, but it’s nice to have it noticed. /CL George Jones, RIP UPDATE: Commenter James DeCamp links to an article … Continue reading
Rather than add updates to the original post, here, I’ll create a new post. There’s a nice ‘In Memorium’ in The American Spectator by Larry Thornberry, The Perfect Country Singer . . . Jones’ large and loyal fan base was … Continue reading
Guest Post by Steve Bartlett Back in the late 1940s—I was either in 5th or 6th grade—I discovered Eddie and Pearl, a married hillbilly duo on local radio station KRIC. Eddie had a 15-minute show about 1 PM 6 days … Continue reading
A friend reports that a well-known professor of economics at Harvard not only listens to HAH, the show turned up in his midterm exam. The question begins, 1. After listening to WHRB Hillbilly at Harvard, you want to catch the … Continue reading
All of the obituaries on George Jones mention his two nicknames, “The Possum,” and “No Show Jones.” Some point out that they were applied in either derision or jest, but the first certainly became a term of affection in the … Continue reading
Terrible news: George Jones has died at 81. Here are links to a few obits: Washington Post: “George Jones, legend in country music, dies at 81” Associated Press: “George Jones, country superstar, has died at 81” CNN: “George Jones dies … Continue reading
UPDATE 3: Dr Janie and I were wondering: Would insurance pay for the Watertown guy’s boat, probably riddled with bullet holes? Usually there’s an exclusion for ‘acts of war and terrorism’ or some such. I say, let’s start a fund … Continue reading
If you were listening Saturday, you heard Elijah and Sandrine Sheon perform a couple of old-timey tunes with clarinet (reminiscent of The Hoosier Hotshots) and Elijah’s masterful finger-picking. Elijah also brought by a Steve James recording of “The Hadacol Boogie” … Continue reading
Apropos of nothing particular, daughter Sarah asks: “How many times can you watch this and still laugh hysterically? Apparently, if you’re 5, 4, or 2, the answer is about 50. ” Monorail cat makes a stop Have to admit, there … Continue reading
Wikipedia A friend sends an article on Johnny Cash from a surprising source: Investor’s Business Daily. It’s under the topic heading, “Management: Leaders and Success,” so presumably it’s meant as an object lesson. A boxed pull quote makes this clear: … Continue reading